I didn't think think October would ever get here! Between my wedding anniversary, the cool weather, and, of course, Halloween, this is my favorite time of year and it seemed like it took forever to get here. But now that it is here, I have been going all out! I've been selling at the Tarboro Market, planning a Halloween party, and, most importantly, crafting!
My favorite piece that I have made so far is this "Home Sweet Haunted Home" sign and today, I am sharing the tutorial so you can make one, too!
***This post contains affiliate links. I may earn a commission if you make a purchase using my links and it does not cost you any extra. This helps support my blog and allows me to continue to make quality content for you to enjoy. Thank you for your support!
If you know me, you know there's nothing I love more than a long walk down the Halloween aisle in any store. Last year, I noticed that there were several pieces of Halloween wall art that was printed on clear glass and after creating my own wedding sign on an old window pane, I figured out how to get the same effect by hand!
It's really as simple as tracing. That's right! We're going to take it back to elementary school and trace a design on a picture frame. And to get the design we are going to trace, we are going to use Canva Pro.
If you have seen any of other printable blog posts (like my DIY Fall Printable), then you have heard all about how much I love Canva. Canva is so easy to use that anyone can create beautiful designs in a matter of minutes, even with no background in design! Besides that, when you sign up for Canva Pro, you get access to thousands of stock photos and graphics to beef up your designs and lets you upload your own fonts and save your own color schemes. If that didn't win you over, then how about trying it FREE for 30 days?
Did you start your free trial? Good. Now let's get down to business! Keep reading for the full instructions to make this DIY Halloween Wall Decor.
DIY Halloween Wall Art with Canva Instructions
1. Create 4 text boxes that say "Home" "Sweet" "Haunted" and another "Home".2. Change the font for both "home" text boxes to Playfair Display, the font for "Sweet" to Satisfy, and the font for "Haunted" to Creepster.
3. Change the size of all 4 text boxes to 120.
4. Put the text boxes in the correct order. Overlap them when necessary so that there are no large gaps in between the words.
5. Center the text boxes. Group them together if that helps and drag the group upwards until the margin numbers pop up and read "73, 75".
6. Navigate to the "Elements" category on the left hand tool bar and search for "gray ghost".
7. Select the first graphic from the search results and drag it to the printable.
8. Drag the corner of the graphic to make it small enough to fit under all of the text then center it.
9. Edit the colors so that the body of the ghost is black and the eyes are white.
Here, you can leave your printable as-is and just frame it and hang it for a cute new piece of Halloween Wall Art. But, if you want to take it a step further and make your DIY Halloween Wall Decor on glass, follow the rest of the steps below!
11. Take the back off of your picture frame and clean both sides of the glass with glass cleaner. You may discard the back of the frame as we will not be needing it.
12. Take your printed Halloween wall art and center it on the glass as if you were framing it. Tape the paper to the edges of the frame, not the glass, to keep it from moving around.
13. Flip the frame over. With your window marker, begin to trace everything on your graphic, starting at the top and working your way down so as not to smudge the paint. Keep window cleaner and a towel nearby to clean up any mistakes.
14. Let dry.
15. When your Halloween wall art is dry, remove the printed graphic and clean off any tape residue that remains.
16. Display your DIY Halloween wall decor for everyone to see! Depending on the frame that you bought, you may have to make some adjustments or add brackets in order to hang it.
Follow @jennilouhoo on Instagram!
I'm Jennifer, a 26 year-old crochet enthusiast who loves sharing my projects with the world. You shop shop a variety of my designs on Etsy!
Jennifer Hines is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.